Human Rights Day is celebrated annually across the world on 10 December. The date was chosen to honour the United Nations General Assembly’s adoption and proclamation, on 10 December 1948, of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR), the first global enunciation of fundamental human rights to be universally protected.
The theme in 2015 was : « 50th Anniversary of the Human Rights Covenants : Our Rights. Our Freedoms. Always. »
This year’s theme is : « Stand up for someone’s rights today ! »
"I call on States to honour their obligation to protect human rights every day of the year. I call on people to hold their governments to account. "
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon
Secretary-General’s Message for 2014 VIDEO
Human Rights Day website
– The text of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
– The United Nations Website
– Human Rights on The United Nations Website
– Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon’s written statement at the « Get Up, Stand Up, Speak Up : Stop Discrimination » event for Human Rights Day in New York, 9 December 2010
– Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon’s video address on Human Rights Day 2010
– Human Rights Day 2015
– Human Rights Day 2011
– Human Rights Day 2010
– Human Rights Day 2009
– Human rights video :
Eleanor Roosevelt, Chair of the UDHR Drafting Committee, on its adoption in 1948 and Navi Pillay, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights 60 years on.
Past Observances of Human Rights Day